Sunday, June 2, 2013

Two Months Out! ‏

 Hiya!
So I have been out on my mission for 2 months! That’s crazy! It has been long but also a quick two months. And I imagine it will be like that for the rest of my mission.
Well this week has been just like the other weeks full of disappointments but blessings too! So we have been doing a lot of chapping, and on one of our times out chapping we talked to this guy Mac for a long while. He doesn’t believe in God because of things that have happened in his past. Well we set up a time to go to his house in two days after that. Since his wife wasn't going to be in we had to find a girl to come with us and it was the hardest thing to find! Anyway so the only person we could think of was someone who used to go out with the missionaries all the time but now she hasn't been to church in a long time. We have talked to her quite a bit before so we know she still has a strong testimony, especially of the Book of Mormon, so we called her and she went to go teach him with us. Mac kept on saying he would be absolutely loyal to God if only he had proof that he was there! So we just kept on telling him that the Book of Mormon is the proof! Anyway our joint teacher did great! She used to be catholic and she said she was just as stubborn as him, and the Book of Mormon changed that. Well luckily Mac wants to believe in God so he is willing to read the whole Book of Mormon (he has read the whole bible before) and we have another appointment with him this week. He really is a great guy, and I know that if he gains a testimony of the truthfulness of this gospel he will be a wonderful member and servant of our Lord.
Proof there is sun in Scotland
I don’t know if I said this last week but our two investigators Sarah and Nicola, have dropped us. It’s sad but you know I am just happy that they have been exposed and you never know what they might decide to do in the future! Now we have all this time for chapping and finding people who God has specifically prepared! In one of our chapping extravaganza’s we found two potential investigators. One is a guy from South Africa who said he personally isn’t too interested in church but his wife loves religion and after moving from South Africa hasn't found a church she likes yet. So we are meeting with their family this week, and we also found this girl in the same close (which is what you call an apartment building, so a flat is an apartment, and a close is an apartment building) and she has been taught before by missionaries. She told us that she was invited to be baptized and when we asked her why she wasn't she said it wasn't for her. When she said that I felt inspired to ask her if she believed that there was one true way that God wanted us to live to return to him, she said she didn’t. Then I felt inspired to be blunt to her, so I told her that God does only have one path that we are supposed to follow to return to him and that path is the church that Jesus Christ established when he was on the earth, I told her that that true church had been lost after He and the apostles died and that the true church has been established again. Then I said the reason why the elders invited her to be baptized in our church was because that true church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was super nervous with how blunt I was being, but then we made an appointment to see her again, and that’s tonight. As Sister Parks and I walked home I told her that I felt inspired to be blunt, and she said that she felt the same and was about to say the same thing when I started talking to her. So that made me feel a lot better and know that the Holy Ghost was guiding me.
Rainbow!!
                I am so glad to be a missionary because I have the lucky opportunity to always be in a state that I can easily recognize the Holy Ghost, now whether or not I am always diligent on following those promptings is something I am still working on, but as a missionary you feel the spirit with you always! And I love it! What is also cool is that you can also feel it when it leaves, and since you’re around it so much, that feeling of it being gone is so distinct you know you’re not supposed to be where you are right now. That happened to Sister Parks and me this last week. It was later, and we were just doing some chapping to finish the day and we went into this flat and got up the first flight of stairs when Sister Parks said that we shouldn’t be here, and I was so glad she said that because I was feeling really weird about it too, I realized the Holy Spirit that is my constant companion had left. I don’t know what would have happened, or if anything would have happened, but all I know is that I am so grateful for the spirit, and that I was able to recognize when it was trying to tell me that this was a bad place by leaving. As a missionary I have the special blessing to never be with people or in places like school or work that drives the spirit away, but I think we can always find things in our lives that we can remove like contention, or maybe some relationships or thoughts that will help keep the spirit with us. I hope that when I am off my mission I continue to strive to live my life so that the Holy Ghost can still be with me wherever I go, and that I never get used to it being gone, so that I can always feel the difference!
We had another lesson with the Lyles except this time only K was there so it was nice and relaxed, and it was cool because she expressed interest in coming to church on her own, we hadn't even invited her to church yet (we were going to), she just said how she was going to try to get her daughter Stephanie (who is really shy) out and go. She couldn’t this week and our appointment with her got canceled because of family matters but hopefully Stephanie will be willing to talk to us in our next appointment and the spirit will inspire them to go to church. I know that would be really good. Especially if Stephanie could make some friends in the church, so when K is no longer there to take care of her she will have friends to turn to, I know that is a real worry of K. So hopefully!!!! We are praying that they will come!
We went out as usual to beautiful Douglas, and had dinner and a lesson with the Ross family. Brother Ross's daughter from his first marriage, Erin, wanted to talk to us about the church, she is 10. So we taught her and she came to church on Sunday. I don’t know how much she liked it, but hopefully we will be able to see her again.
Yesterday we had p-day! I have been looking forward to this p-day for a while because we played football! We played with Lewis Wark and his friend and the Elders in our ward. It was so much fun!!! It was kind of rainy but we decided to go play anyway. Lewis taught us some simple things like how to pass and catch the ball! I had a lot of fun, and Lewis actually said that I was a pretty good defender. So I am thinking I am going to practice here and then get really good and come home and go pro! ;) Elder Brown-Cunningham (the new elder in our ward) is from Edinburgh Scotland (haha he got called to the Scotland/Ireland mission!) and so naturally he is pretty good at football. And he said that I kept on annoying him because he would get the ball and think that he got past me but I would be in front of him again! Haha! Yes! Anyway I think mostly it was just fun running around outside! So that was super nice of Lewis to get that set up for us.  Let’s see… then we chapped after p-day and we found two more potential investigators. So hopefully that will go somewhere!
She is looking Scottish here. 
Well I am loving the work! I know that this is the Lords work and as I continually try to submit my will to Heavenly Fathers will I will see success, if not in the people I teach then at least I will see success in the changes in me!  I know that a mission is exactly what the Lord had in store for me and that I am out here for a reason! I know Joseph Smith was a true prophet, and sometimes when the natural man in me wonders if I do know that, I find when I read the Book of Mormon that he was! The Book of Mormon is the keystone! If you find your testimony lacking I promise that if you read the Book of Mormon it will be strengthened and your questions will be answered! I love this church! If I didn’t I wouldn’t be here. Thanks for all the prayers! I love you!


Sister Watt

1 comment:

  1. What an inspiring letter! I will continue to pray for her and the other missionaries and this wonderful work that changes lives!!! I am living proof of that ... thanks to the Sister Missionaries that taught me!!!

    ReplyDelete