Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sorry long and boring letter, good luck with that!‏

Just more pictures from the Castles and missionary fun.




Hiya!
You know I really need to take physical notes on the things I should write about each week, because I get to Monday and remember all these mental notes that I made throughout the week to write about in this email, and realized I remember making the mental notes, but not what they were. So this may turn out to be a very boring email.

Right so this week I learned a lot about electricity. On Monday when we got home our electricity was out and so I went to the....fuse box? (I think that is what it’s called) and checked it and came to find that there was something in the kitchen that kept on tripping the main switch. So I went through this way stressful situation that consisted of calling the mission office a million times and the letting agency and our tenant. And then re-calling them because they said the electrician would come but didn't and no returned calls yada yada. It was terribly frustrating! So finally on Wednesday the electrician came. By the way on Monday with the help of some members we narrowed it down to the washing machine that was causing the problem so we had electricity, we just didn't have the washing machine. Anyway, the electrician came on Wednesday and took a look at it, and then explained to me that the tube that brings the water from the tank to the washing machine was leaking and it happened to be leaking right over the electrical socket that the machine was plugged into....that’s safe! So he then told me that the plumber was going to have to come. And then the plumber wasn't coming, and I wasn't about to just sit around for the plumber to come, we had already done enough of that waiting for the electrician. So the plumber ended up coming Thursday and fixing the problem. Its a good thing he did too because I ran out of underwear on Friday! So that made for a stressful first half of the week, especially since Sister Hulet and I were trying to get a significantly higher amount of lessons this week. 

So Tuesday we had a really good district meeting. Our district leader talked about how it’s interesting that for things we are passionate about or have a desire to learn we will work and work and work to succeed at them (for example sports or a musical instrument), but when it comes to missionary work sometimes we just give up on different aspects of it. So we needed to develop a desire for something in missionary work, something that we will work and work and work at, and never give up. That was really good, and helped me a lot this week. After that we went on exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders, Sister Hulet went to Irvine and I stayed in Hamilton which was nice because I don’t like packing up my things and sleeping in a different bed. The exchange went really well, I told Sister Passey that I wanted to work on street contacting because I really have a hard time with that and so we did a lot of street contacting and Sister Passey is really good at it, so I learned a lot. After exchanges, what I learned about the street contacting helped a lot for Sister Hulet and me in reaching our goal for our lessons this week. 

Wednesday Sister Hulet came back (I missed her so much!) and we went and gave the stop-smoking program to this less active and her husband. Later in the week she phoned me and told me that the huge doses of Vitamin C that the program asks you to take have been counteracting her heart medication and nearly killing her.....so that back fired. :( I felt really bad, but it’s not really my fault and she is fine now. Haha I kind of chuckle at it because its such an awkward situation, and I kind of feel like such a dafty (idiot). Oh well we're all good now soo.... Then the singles ward in Glasgow had a talent show set up and for the first half the senior couple signed a bunch of the missionaries up to do a talent. And I was forced (not really but obligated, and roped into doing it) to play my guitar. I ended up playing one of the songs I had written because it was the only one I could remember, and it was terrifying. I have never played an original to so many people before! My legs were literally bouncing while I was playing. But I made it through so its ok. But it was scary. 

Thursday we helped paint a lady's house, she just moved into the ward. So that was good, and then we went and taught Marie and Victoria. They have said that they feel such a difference since their baptism and I couldn't be more proud of them. Friday we had an appointment lined up but she bailed so we ended up just street contacting and visiting Irene (a recent convert) and some less actives, and then we had a lesson with Sister Allen, just some scripture study with her. Saturday, our whole day got cancelled; every appointment we made fell through! Hahah so that kind of made it hard. We ended up just street contacting.

Sunday was way good. If you remember JRP, he went less active right when I got here in Hamilton. Well he came to church for the first time. During fast and testimony meeting he got up to the stand and the whole congregation got really quiet and awkward and then he said "I’m back!" hahahahahahahaha it was the funniest thing ever. Then he told us that he had a dream basically telling him that he needed to come back so he did. It was good, and I am really proud of him. We also had an appointment with a guy we chapped into during exchanges and he phoned us before and told us that he couldn't make it, so that was disappointing. 

But last night we were walking around because it wasn't 9 yet and so we were trying to find people on the street to talk to, and this drunk guy came up to Sister Hulet and I and started talking to us. He was pretty drunk. Anyway half way through a sentence he stopped and looked at Sister Hulet and said "you’re gorgeous!", then he turned to me and said, "I mean you’re alright, but she, she is gorgeous!" BURN! Haha I would have been offended except for the fact that he was drunk so....but it was funny. Anyway that was my week, I feel so fat right now because Marie and Victoria took us to an Indian Buffet! They spoil us; it’s so kind of them.

I have said throughout this email that Sister Hulet and I made our goal for lessons we wanted to get. I just want to say that it was extremely hard to get those lessons, and I can’t tell you how hard Satan pushed against us this week to keep us from making that goal. There were so many times that we could have just not tried because of situations like the electrician and plumber and traveling. All these things that happened where we could have just given up and not tried to use all of our time to get just one more lesson, have a meaningful conversation with just one more person! But Sister Hulet and I recognized that it was Satan fighting against us and we really pushed for it. It was hard and besides a number, we haven't received any fruits from it, we weren’t able to get very many return appointments with people we talked to, but I feel good knowing that at least we left these people with something a little bit more than what they had before. I testify that the devil doesn't want us to reach goals because he knows that that will make us feel like we accomplished something, it will make us work harder. I know that he doesn't want that, but we can push past him, and as long as we continue working hard at whatever we are doing that we can get past any thing that gets in our way. Thanks for all the support and prayers!

I love you all, and you are all "GORGEOUS!" :)

"Peace out"
Sister Watt

No comments:

Post a Comment