Saturday, January 18, 2014

Happy New Year!

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Beautiful Sis. Watt with new slippers, necklace and tights. 


January 3, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I have been doing a lot of thinking, as is normal for a missionary to do when they suddenly find themselves half way done with their mission and in the same year that they will be going home. I usually try not to think about going home but this has been good contemplation. I have been thinking a lot about the different things I have accomplished, I have even looked at some of the things that I had written when I was about 4 1/2 months out. And I was shocked to see how much I have changed, just in these last 5 1/2 months. I can tell that the missionary that I was then and the missionary that I am now are two completely different missionaries. I feel like I have become so much more obedient, my love for the work has increased by at least 3 times, as well as my love for the people, and my understanding of the gospel. It’s funny how I finally feel like I am ready to be a missionary, and yet I only have 9 months left! They say that that happens a lot, that right when you feel like you have it all down; you are on a plane home. Haha but I am so happy with the person I have become and look forward to the person I will be when I get home.

I don’t know about you, but I have made some New Year’s resolutions. I have decided that I am going to make these last 9 months the hardest working months of my life. I know that I will have days that I will struggle and it’s going to be hard, but I want to make sure that I have no regrets and that I’m finishing off my mission strong. You wouldn’t believe how many missionaries get close to going home and it brings down their missionary work, so I am determined not to let that happen! So I hope everyone holds me accountable for that!

Anyway enough with the sneak peek of Sister Watt's inner thoughts! Here is what we did this week!
From last Friday, when I emailed, we basically did weekly planning and then we had a dinner appointment with the McNally's which was super nice that they had us over for dinner considering we stayed at their house for Boxing Day as well. It was really good, we talked about their missionary efforts and we were able to help them pin point some reasons why sharing the gospel can be a struggle and we concluded that they needed to make sure they were preparing themselves every day in their scripture study, to talk to people about the gospel. I know that that is so important. Your daily scripture study will affect how confident and comfortable you will be when talking to people about the gospel; I know that is a fact! I have seen it in my missionary work as well in member missionaries here.

After that we were able to contact a less active that the Sisters were struggling to contact in the past, she is super nice and I feel like she is being prepared to come back to church, so that is good! Saturday we met with Brother McCafferty, and then we did a lot of finding, and also visited the Watsons. I felt bad because we kind of just randomly dropped in and they were having a mini family crisis going on, but then Sister Watson said she was glad we were here to help keep her calm a little. We practiced with Sister Watson on how she would bring up an invitation to learn about our church, in her home, to a friend. In companionship studies we often do role plays, because practice makes perfect, and so we did one with her, and I think it helped her to do that. We also met with Sister Proctor, a less active. I think the ward has decided to focus on Sister Proctor and how they can help her and help her come back to church, so we decided that we will be focusing her as well, so we decided to start seeing her 2 times a week and really pray and ponder about our lessons with her. So that will be interesting to see how it goes with that.

Sunday we had church and then we did some more finding and we visited Fay, a lady in a nursing home, and then we visited a less active family that I, personally, haven’t met before because we were never able to get in contact with them with all the holidays. It’s a mother and daughter and we only met the mother but she has a strong testimony, just some illnesses getting in the way. Monday was a really busy day, it started off with grocery shopping and getting a trim. This lady in our ward cut ours and the Elders hair, I know she didn’t take that much off but I feel like she did! Then we visited a former investigator and she agreed to meet with us again, and we stopped by Scott (nonmember who wants to get baptized but can’t just now) and Caroline (less active member) But Caroline had a really rough holiday so we talked to her a little about it, however she didn’t seem too keen on us being there so we didn't stay long. Oh the awkwardness of missionary work and bombarding people’s lives!

Me and my gifts!
After that we had FHE with Sister Green. Tuesday because it was New Year’s Eve we had to be in at six. So before that, we did some finding and then met with Sister Proctor again, and then we met as a district in Hamilton and did some district finding there. That was weird to be in my Mission Home Town again. Sister Jacques and I found this awesome potential investigator for the Hamilton sisters, she was the sweetest lady and we talked to her for like 20 minutes. So hopefully something comes out of that. Oh, also I got my Christmas package that morning as well! It was sooo exciting; the Zone Leaders went out of their way to drop it off for me! So that was exciting, and I loved having two Christmas’s!

Wednesday we just walked to Sister Greens and she made us brunch, and we watched 3 movies at her house, we watched The Incredible’s (but it was scratched so we had to skip some parts) and then we watched The Princess and the Frog, and then we watched the Croods, which was a new one I hadn’t seen. It was pretty good I liked it. Man I wanted to watch Despicable Me 2 sooooo bad, but no one else wanted to watch it, I was gutted (upset)! But then Sister Green also made us a nice dinner and then we walked home, so it was a very nice relaxing New Year’s Day. I am happy to be getting back into missionary work though!

Thursday we did a ton of street contacting! We were on our feet for like 2 hours, just walking. It doesn’t seem like a lot, but when you’re used to getting buses all the time, it’s a lot. After that we stopped by this new investigator we had. I don’t think I told you this story but we stopped Paul on the street a couple weeks back and talked to him, and he said that he had been stopped by some sisters like 3 years ago and he still reads the Book of Mormon here and there, and so we set up an appointment with him. Well we had the restoration lesson with him and it was alright, to be honest Sister Jacques and I couldn’t sit by each other because of the way the room was arranged, and so it was really hard to teach in unity, which is really important! So it could have been better. Well we invited him to the ward Christmas party the next day, but he bailed and he bailed on our next appointment with him. So we finally found an opportunity to meet with him and he was home and he apologized for bailing on us, it was just the holiday craziness! So we talked to him for a while and we set up another appointment with him and he said we wants to come to church this week, so hopefully it goes through this time.

Then after that we went home for dinner. So we decided since our whole night schedule had fallen through that we were going to try by Linda and Alison (investigators) but we didn’t know who to try by first. So we prayed and we both got different feelings on whom to try by first! So we decided to follow the examples of the 11 apostles in Acts when they chose the 12th apostle by taking lots, after Judas died, so we pulled straws and so we visited Linda first. Turns out we caught her right before she was going to bed so we set up another appointment with her (which she just texted and cancelled) and then we headed to Alison and she said that we could not have caught her at a better time! HOORAY for straws! haha so that was my week, and I am desperately out of time!

So I love you all and I hope 2014 treats you well!
Cheers!


Photo of Skyping with Christine



Christine's reaction when Jordan told her he had an engagement ring for Jentre and was going to propose very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment