Sunday, March 30, 2014

Good, good week!

                                                                                                                              February 10, 2014
Mum this is the greatest poster ever! and I think there is a resemblance!


Hiya family!
This morning I decided to study kindness; mainly because for the last couple of weeks I have just been trying to be a kinder person all together. Anyway, it was a pretty hard thing to study, because there are no sections in the PMG about kindness, neither are there very many scriptures just about being kind. Probably because being kind encompasses a lot of things! For example if you look up the word "Kindness" in the topical guide you will see right next to it "See also:" and then a bunch of words. I love looking at these because I feel like it gives you an idea about synonyms for the word. So between in the Bible and Book of Mormon these are the words that come up: Benevolence; Compassion; Courtesy; Gentleness; God, Mercy of (Mercy of God); Gracious; Mercy; Charity; and Love.
The first scripture I went to was this one, 1 Nephi 19:9 In this scripture Christ exemplifies kindness. This is what it says:
 9 And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it; and they smite him, and he suffereth it. Yea, they aspit upon him, and he suffereth it, because of his loving bkindness and his clong-suffering towards the children of men.
What stuck out to me is the word put before kindness, “loving”. It made me think, Is there different types of kindness?

So I made a list of some reasons why people are kind, this is what I came up with,
Obligation: for example, to a boss or co-worker, or feeling the need to be kind because someone is kind to you first.
For our own personal gain: example, being kind to the server so they don’t spit in our food, :) or being nice to the police man so maybe he won’t write us a ticket.
And the most important and necessary type of kindness: Loving Kindness!
This is the kind that the Savior has and the kind that he asks us to have when he tells us to love one another, and do unto others as we would have them do unto us!

Next thing I looked up was Nehemiah 9:17: This scripture is way good.
 17 And refused to obey, neither were mindful of thy wonders that thou didst among them; but hardened their necks, and in their rebellion appointed a captain to areturn to their bondage: but thou art a God ready to bpardon, gracious and cmerciful, slow to danger, and of great ekindness, and forsookest them not.
How many times do we do all that it describes and yet God still pardons us? Shouldn’t we do the same? It shouldn’t matter if they aren't listening to what they are told to do, or if they aren't being mindful of the things we do for them, or that they are stubborn and slow to learn, or rebellious. This is not an excuse to not be kind! You can rebuke, correct, or express your feelings, and still be kind. We need to take this example; and pardon, be gracious, and merciful, and KIND! I love this scripture so much!

I have quite a few other scriptures in there but the last one I want to share is this 2 Peter 1: 5-8
 5 And beside this, giving all adiligence, add to your faith bvirtue; and to virtue cknowledge;
 6 And to knowledge atemperance; and to temperance bpatience; and to patience cgodliness;
 7 And to godliness abrotherly bkindness; and to brotherly kindness ccharity.
 8 For if these things be in you, and aabound, they make you that ye shall neither be bbarren nor cunfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
I see this as an equation Diligence(faith+virtue+knowledge+temperence+patience+Godliness+Brother Kindness+Charity)=Knowledge and Understanding of Jesus Christ=becoming more like Christ! So often we think of Charity and Love and Patience and all these really good attributes, but we forget about simple kindness. I know that kindness is part of becoming like Jesus Christ. I know that if we come to love the people who are around us then we can start being kind because we want to be, not because we are obliged or because we want gain, we are kind because we love them. I know that with this we can get just a little closer to becoming like Jesus Christ.
So that is what I studied; now I will tell you about my week! So this week was good. I have been struggling for the past couple of weeks, not feeling like I am successful. Sometimes when you have a lot of people dodging appointments and not seeing much success you tend to feel like it’s your fault. Well Tuesday we had a big meeting. The Scotland West Conference, basically just all of Paisley and Glasgow zones. Elder Herbertson was there. Everything in this meeting made me feel so much better, just about how no effort is wasted and how we can understand that God appreciates our sacrifice! There was a lot and I definitely don’t have time to get into it all but all I can say is that I gained a huge testimony of my Heavenly Fathers love for me. He knew I was struggling and he knew what I needed to hear and I am just so grateful that he cared enough to help me feel better. At the end they had a testimony meeting and even though I knew that I was going to be a crying mess I knew that I couldn't, not thank my Heavenly Father publicly for his love in answering my prayers, so I did! Then that night we met with a former investigator, and now she is a new investigator.

Sister Proctors cat, Walter, I play with him
every time we visit, even if he makes my eyes
scratchy and my nose stuffy!
Wednesday we had a really good lesson with Caroline, mother of Scott (10 year old) who we have been teaching and waiting till he can get baptized. Anyway, Caroline is a less active and we had a really spiritual lesson where she expressed how she wanted to get to the temple. So there is a working progress but she is progressing! So that is really good! We also saw Sister Procter and did 1 Nephi 2 scripture lesson with her and she totally kept the commitment to read 1 Nephi 2 without us even reminding her! I was so proud of her! It’s so sad; everyone has been having deaths in their families these past 2 weeks! So we have been visiting people and sending cards and flowers and stuff. Friday we met with Paul and had a good lesson with him. We set it up this time, that if he wanted to come to church he has to phone us in the morning to tell us that he is awake and then we will meet with him, because he has bailed on us way too many times. We will not give up on him though. The McNally's in our ward told us that as long as he is progressing don’t give up; it took them like 6 months to come to church!
The really cool thing that happened this week happened last night! It was a miracle. So a couple of weeks ago we tried by this less active, and she told us that she wasn’t interested, and we were guided by the spirit to be a bit bolder and ask her why she wasn't interested in the church anymore. Well that kept her from closing the door on us and she told us to come back and she would explain. So we set up an appointment for Tuesday, but then we forgot that we had that meeting on Tuesday, so we had to phone her and cancel it. Well we tried by last night, and she let us in and we had this really long talk with her and her non-member husband and 10 year old son. Basically the son is way spiritual, she has said multiple times that she has wanted to come back to church, and her husband is a cynic but has a lot of questions and was asking us a lot of questions. By the end of it we asked if they wanted us to come back, and they all agreed. And then she said this "I don’t know what is different about you two, you are the first missionaries that have made it through the door in a VERY long time". :D I was sooo happy! This is a family and the gospel would bless their lives sooo much. Her name is Donna and her Mum is active and in the ward, Sister Black! We see her like once a week because she lets us bring people to teach at her house and I am just soooooo grateful for this miracle. I am just praying so hard that they feel the spirit.
Cause I am cool!  
So that was our miracle this week. And it came out of cancellations and people dodging us. It seems to work that way a lot, we have a whole day planned and it all falls apart and then God guides us to where He ACTUALLY wants us to go! So that was my week in a nutshell, we visited some of the usual less-actives and such but I just shared the really good parts! Oh but I did forget one thing, we visited one of the members who is in a nursing home and she is the sweetest lady ever! Her name is Barbara Graves, and she has some serious memory problems, I can’t tell you how many times she told us that she "won a watch when she got [her] husband", "he is the love of [her] life", "[she] can’t wait to join him", and how "[she] is so happy that [she] is sealed to [her] husband for time and all eternity". It was the sweetest thing ever! She just loved her husband and couldn’t wait to be with him forever and I have never heard anyone talk about being sealed in such a way as she did! It was certainly admirable!
Well that was my week, it was really good. I hope you all had a great week, and have a great week! I love you and my prayers are with you!

Sister Watt  

No comments:

Post a Comment